Tuesday, July 7, 2009

360 degrees

If you would have asked me 6 months ago to join the military, I would of told you were you can stick it. But my life has gone through a complete change and a complete 360- I am dedicated to joining the Air Guard and I won't stop until I reach it. I have the support of my father and sister, which is fantastic, but mom doesn't like the idea of her youngest to go off to war, though I would never.
When I tell people that I'm joining the military, they don't take me seriously. I've been told I'm "too pretty" for the military or I'm "too smart", but it's something I want to do for myself. I'm tired of pleasing others and it's about time I start listening to myself and put my "brains and beauty" to the test. I think the military is the best place to test my mad doctor skills and it's the best opprotunity I've been given.
Let's rewind, back to before the 360....
My parents always called me the "smart one", the one who was going to a 4-year Ivy League. My dad was excited for my interest in psychology, because he went to UC Berkeley and got his BA in psychology, thinking that I was going to do the same and follow in his foot steps. Now, there ins't anything wrong with that plan, but it's not my plan. I have never seen my dad so happy when I started talking psychology classes and labs, but I did it because I love the science. My mother liked the idea of me being a doctor, I'm guessing for bragging rights. Plus, she wants to retire in Monterey, CA on 17-mile Drive. Never heard of it?? One word- expensive. I liked the idea of both my parents proud of me, but was I proud of myself...?
One day, I watched a movie about the Army, one of the thousand, and I thought to myself, "Hmmmm, I wonder what life would be like if I joined the Army??" So I gave it some consideration, thought about it, did my research, and soon became obsessed with the idea. I didn't tell my parents until I had all the info and proof and fine details. The look on their faces will always be engraved into my mind. It makes me cry, like I'm doing now, to see the disappointment in their eyes. No more UC Berkeley, no more Ph.D. They could kiss those ideas away they thought. I had to tell them that I am dedicated to what I start and I need discipline to get there. That just screams military. Well my dad got up from the table and walked away and my mom was more interested in the attractive men on the brochures. I don't want to waste my excitement on them.
I told my father, "You are coming with me to the Base to talk to recruiting TSgt. Olmos and you will see why I love the Air Guard." He went, and to my surprise, he got along with TSgt. Olmos and more importantly, he was impressed. It takes a lot for this man to be impressed and for him to say that he was "impressed with the base and everyone on it", I knew he was on board with me. I have never been happier than to hear those words.
One of my biggest supporters was my sister Megan. She told my mom last year that she was going to be a firefighter and she thought she was kidding, so Megan kind of knows what I'm dealing with. She is the best- she went to the Base with me and my father, mainly for the eye candy, but she wanted to know more to help my mom better understand all of this. Meg was even thinking about joining the firefighting program the Guard has to offer. But she was tried talking to my mom, many times. She, too, was frustrated with her lack of support. And I really need her support most of all; during the last couple of months my mom has become my best friend. I never thought I would have that with her. So you can see why this breaks my heart to see her question my choices. She keeps hinting other colleges to go to and other choices, but I simply ignore her. I guess her tension comes from growing up in the Army- her father was an Army drill sgt., so she thinks that I'm going to experience the same thing. Only it's no longer 1979, and they have updated the systems and thinga are different- they give you choices and options and never do they force you into going to War, it's all voluntary. Which I LOVE! That's one less thing to worry about.
My mom wants me to be perfect: Chief of Medicine with a Ph.D in psychology, 3 kids and a happy marriage by 35..... Not any more. Now I'm debating whether or not I want to have kids. I have this new life I'm starting and I want to live it. This military is the best thing that has walked into my life and I'm going to embrase it. Just take it and run with it, as fast as I can go.

This is the new chapter for Nicolette Beaumont, and it's going to be the best one.

1 comment:

Christine Slay said...

Good for you! You know my husband is a pilot in the Marine Corps and we live on base in North Carolina. Military life has it's perks and downers but it's a tight family and even though I am a civilain, I do enjoy it! Go for it!!